Archive for the ‘Derek Woodgate’ Category
Derek considers thinking techniques beyond systems thinking that are better suited to creating revolutionary futures that best leverage discontinuous change and create new paradigms by connecting unexpected disconnects. Drawing on rhizomatic thinking and other techniques.
Derek gives specific examples of the application of these techniques to client projects undertaken successfully by The Futures Lab, Inc.
Derek builds a fresh approach to futures work using thinking techniques such as:
- Think like a DJ/ The Remix
- Amorphoscapes and random worlds
- Think the unthinkable
- Collision – asymmetries
- Biomimicry – bionomics
- Parallel Realities
- Convergent disconnects
- Magical and Alchemical
An in depth article on the Future of Advertising by Derek Woodgate.
- The four interacting layers making up the strategic architecture for the coming revolution in the world of advertising mean that in the coming decade, the field will likely establish that lifestyle spheres are more important than the format itself.
- The ability for players to adapt and offer alternatives in real-time, based on consumer reaction/response or degree of engagement will be paramount to creating brand and offering desirability and uptake.
- This revolution in the whole advertising will demand the need for substantial changes to business models/financial structures; types of agencies/players; new creative tools and production techniques; and new content providers.
- This revolution will simultaneously provide a whole new world of amazing opportunities.
- The ability to leverage these opportunities will depend on how agile, fluid, and responsive the advertising industry can become to the real-time needs of the changing human (especially the coming 18-24 year olds), the power of emerging technologies, and the potential that will be provided by new creative approaches, formats, delivery systems, and reception environments.
- Personalized, yet often socially mediated interactive advertising, delivered in blended formats across multiple platforms and media simultaneously, will demand a rethink on the whole concept of advertising as it becomes more and more integrated into everyday life and behaviors.
- The impending advertising revolution will deliver a whole range of hitherto unknown augmented sensory experiences and environments that are both exciting and engaging.
- While providing a greater level of meaningfulness to the consumer, advertisers will be able to better identify and understand what role and pleasure advertising contributes to our overall human development.
In the Age of Upheaval, in which we are witness to significant economic, social and fiscal transformation; the complexities of the global economic playground are as influential as the small entrepreneur’s intuitive play when it comes to the holistic development of the local business environment. With emerging markets, in particular the BRICs and Indonesia projected to contribute over 70% of total global economic growth over the next decade and the BRIC economies expected to provide over 50% of global GDP by 2020, we are seeing not just the rise of a new economic order, but moreover creation of an intricate collaborative battleground, which will have a major impact at all levels and layers.
Derek explores and discusses how this expanding arena and its resulting policies will influence economic, business and lifestyle shifts at the regional and local level.
He considers everything from workforce structures and adaptive enterprises, to a flourishing global talent market, disparate labor force demographics, masses of new middle class customers, complex financial integration, rapid innovation and technological development, as well as exciting opportunities for new converged industries, alternative social-economic structures, greater inclusion and the power of community.
Derek draws upon his work on the “Remix Society”, (with its redefinition of archetypes, identities and the augmented self) and its impact on education, innovation and entrepreneurship – three areas considered critical to the continuing the global position of the US economy.
Our President, Derek Woodgate will appear in a new documentary directed by renowned Croatian Director Tomislav Perica (Five Women, Late Lunch, etc.) about the Future of Zagreb, Croatia,
The film will include interviews with leading dignitaries from Zagreb including: Croatian President Ivo Josipovic, writer and academic Predrag Matvejević, Choreographer Milko Sparenblek, award-winning author Julijana Matananović, and Maximo Estupinan Hurtado leader of the Croatian band Cubismo…
Derek’s inclusion is not only due to his role as a internationally renowned futurist, but also because he spent a large part of his life living in Croatia, where he gained his Masters in Political Economics from the University of Zagreb, a city he considers home.
Our President, Derek Woodgate will participate as a panelist and run a workshop at Meowcon in Austin, TX in October. The workshop is titled FutureMusic. Here is an outline:
The music industry is at its second major crossroads in a decade. Whereas digital dramatically changed how we receive, listen, store and share recorded music, the next few years will redefine how we create, produce, record, deliver and consume live music. This workshop will look at some of the emerging approaches and technologies that will rock the live scene.
The Futures Lab, Inc. is proud to announce that it is a sponsor for the 10th Annual APF (Association of Professional Futurists) Gathering in Orlando, FL. 2nd – 4th May 2013. The even titled Play: Simulation, Games, The Future will include visits to the Institute for Simulation and Training as well as to The Department of Defense’s Advanced Distributed Learning Initiative Lab. The Conference will conclude with The Simtacular, an immersive experience, in which the participants will bring to life the theories and ideas explored throughout the Gathering.
We are also sponsors of the Austin Mini Maker Faire on May 5th at the Palmer Events Center in Austin, TX. You’ll catch us at booth 39 where we will be talking up our new divisions, educational arm Learning Innovations in Future Education (LIFE) and “sense event” production arm, Future Entertainment and Events Lab. FEEL and LIFE CEO Maggie Duval will be on hand to answer questions The booth will feature a video called “The Future is Ours to Create” conceived and directed by Derek Woodgate, who is also a speaker at the event – his talk is The Future of Education: Collaborative Maker Spaces as Transformative, Experiential Classrooms.